Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeships
The purpose of an Infrastructure Technician is to provide technical support to internal and external customers, by using tools to problem solve and trouble shoot non-routine problems. The Infrastructure Technician will ensure all employees are set up on the relevant systems and are on hand to provide support where needed, rectifying any issues to maintain the organisations productivity.
Typical Job Roles
Help Desk Technician, First or Second Line Support, IT Infrastructure Technician or Network Support.
- 5 GCSEs - especially English, Mathematics and a Science or Technology subject).
- A relevant Level 2 Apprenticeship; other relevant qualifications and experience; or an aptitude test with a focus on IT skills.
- Communication: Works both independently and as part of a team and following the organisations standards; competently demonstrating an ability to communicate both in writing and orally at all levels, using a range of tools and demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and cultural awareness when dealing with colleagues, customers and clients during all tasks.
- IT Security: Demonstrates the necessary skills and behaviours to securely operate across all platforms and areas of responsibilities in line with organisational guidance and legislation.
- Remote Infrastructure: Effectively operate a range of mobile devices and securely add them to a network in accordance with organisations policies and procedures.
- Data: Effectively record, analyse and communicate data at the appropriate level using the organisation’s standard tools and processes, and to all stakeholders within the responsibility of the position.
- Problem solving: Applies structured techniques to common and non-routine problems, testing methodologies and troubleshooting. They will analyse problems by selecting the appropriate tools and techniques in line with organisational guidance and to obtain the relevant logistical support as required.
- Workflow management: Works flexibly and demonstrate the ability to work under pressure to progress allocated tasks in accordance with the organisation’s reporting and quality systems.
- Health and Safety: Individual interprets and follows IT legislation to ensure secure productivity in the work environment.
- Performance: Can optimise the performance of hardware, software and Network Systems and services in line with business requirements.
- They will have the ability to explain the correct processes associated with WEEE (the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive).
Technical Knowledge and Understanding
- Working knowledge of a range of cabling and connectivity, the various types of antennas and wireless systems and IT test equipment.
- Understand maintenance processes and applying them in working practices.
- Understand and apply the basic elements and architecture of computer systems.
- Understand where to apply the relevant numerical skills e.g Binary.
- Understand the relevant networking skills necessary to maintain a secure network.
- Understand the similarities, differences and benefits of the current Operating Systems available.
- Understand how to operate remotely and how to deploy and securely integrate mobile devices.
- An understanding and working knowledge of Cloud and Cloud Services.
- Understand the importance of disaster recovery and how a disaster recovery plan works and their role within it.
- Understand the similarities and differences between a range of coding and logic.
- Understands and complies with business processes.
- Working knowledge of business IT skills relevant to the organisation.
Underpinning Skills, Attitudes and Behaviours
Each apprentice will gain and improve the following Underpinning Skills, Attitudes and Behaviours:
- Logical and creative thinking skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and to take responsibility.
- Ability to use their own initiative.
- Gain a thorough and organised approach.
- Ability to work with a range of internal and external people.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a variety of situations.
- Maintain productive, professional and secure working environment.