L4 Network Engineer
Jump to: Job Role, Pathways, Courses, Contact Us or Resources
A Network Engineer provides networks and systems to deliver the objectives of varied organisations. They will make sure that systems are working at optimum capacity and problem solve where they are not. To be able to do this effectively a Network Engineer must interpret
technical information and understand organisational requirements and expectations. They support delivery of legislatively compliant solutions to challenges in network and infrastructure.
Network Engineers deal with both hardware and software issues. They are a key part of putting things right quickly when networks fail, and they communicate problems that they have identified with network integrity or performance rapidly to ensure service is resumed and downtime minimised. Network Engineers help customers both technical and nontechnical to install computer networks, maintain them, and offer technical support to users where necessary.
Network Engineer Knowledge & Skills Taught:
As with all of our level 3 & 4 apprenticeships, you are not required to have any pre-requisite grades or skills. The purposes is to upskill the individual to the point of industry level competency within the given time period, whilst working within the field. Apprenticeships are a fusion of learning theory and applied experience, to produce applicable competency within a given field.
- Apply the appropriate tools and techniques when securely operating and testing Networks
- Install and configure the elements required to maintain and manage a secure Network
- Implement techniques to monitor and record systems performance in line with defined specifications
- Maintain security and performance of the system against known and standard threats
- Apply the appropriate tools and techniques to identify systems performance issues
- Apply the appropriate tools and techniques to gather information to troubleshoot issues and isolate, repair or escalate faults
- Communicate outcomes of tasks and record in line with organisational procedures and SLAs including adherence to good customer service standards
- Upgrade, apply and test components to systems configurations ensuring that the system meets the organisation's requirements and minimises downtime. This should include backup processes.
- Record task details whether face-to-face, remote or in writing in line with ogranisational requirements
- Interpret information received from a manager, customer or technical specialist and accurately implement the defined requirements
- Monitor, identify and implement required maintenance procedures
- Implement techniques to optimise systems performance in line with defined specifications
- Organise and prioritise clients/stakeholders' requests in line with SLAs and organization processes
- Explain their job role within the business context to stakeholders to enable a clear understanding on both sides of what their remit is and convey technical constraints in appropriate language considering accessibility and diversity implications.
- Operate securely and apply the appropriate process, policies, and legislation within their business responsibilities
- Communicate with a range of stakeholders taking into consideration of organisations cultural awareness and technical ability
- Apply the appropriate level of responsibility when planning and prioritizing work tasks
- The causes and consequences of network and IT infrastructure failures
- The architecture of typical IT systems, including hardware, OS, server, virtualisation, voice, cloud, and applications
- The techniques for systems performance and optimisation
- Diagnostic techniques and tools to interrogate and gather information regarding systems performance
- Organizational procedures to deal with recording information effectively and in line with protocols
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and their application to delivering network engineering activities in line with contractual obligations and customer service
- Their role in Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- The purposes and uses of ports and protocols
- Devices, applications, protocols, and services at their appropriate OSI and/or TCP/IP layers.
- The concepts and characteristics of routing and switching
- The characteristics of network topologies, types, and technologies.
- Wireless technologies and configurations.
- Cloud concepts and their purposes.
- Functions of network services
- The different types of network maintenance
- How current legislation relates to or impacts occupation
- Troubleshooting methodologies for network and IT infrastructure
- How to integrate a server into a network
- Work independently and demonstrate initiative being resourceful when faced with a problem and taking responsibility for solving problems within their own remit
- Work securely within the business
- Work within the goals, vision, and values of the organisation
- Take a wider view of the strategic objectives of the tasks/ projects they are working on including the implications for accessibility by users and diversity.
- Works to meet or exceed customers' requirements and expectations
- Identifies issues quickly, investigates and solves complex problems and applies appropriate solutions. Ensures the true root cause of any problem is found and a solution is identified which prevents recurrence
- Committed to continued professional development to ensure growth in professional skill and knowledge.
- Network Technician
- Network Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Network Administrator
These are the courses roadmaps. It is a portion of the work which will follow through the entirity of the apprenticeship course. With on the job experience, and off-the-job learning rounding out in the rest of the training.
All relevant courses within your selected pathway, for yourself or your employee, can be found below.
The GKA Way
Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (Microsoft Only)
Microsoft Azure Administrator (Microsoft Only)
Microsoft Azure Security Technologies (Microsoft Only)
CompTIA Cloud+ (CompTIA Only)
CompTIA Security+ (CompTIA & AWS)
AWS Cloud Practitioner Essentials (AWS Only)
Architecting on AWS (AWS Only)
Legislation, Regulation & Ethics
The EPA Way